choosing
I’m feeling proud of myself. I dreaded a family get together this weekend. There are the normal dynamics plus some new shifts in the family that bring extra tension.
Me to self:
I don’t want to go.
But you have to go.
Why do I have to go?
Because it’s a kid’s birthday party. And your kids are going.
What if I stay home?
D can’t watch all three kids safely at the pool. So you’ll make one stay home “sick” and miss out on the fun?
Perhaps.
You can’t do that. You’re not a good mom.
But my kids need me to be healthy to be a good mom. I’m not healthy when I am around this group of people, particularly when you’ve been brought into the new shifts this week and had a few days in a row of severe anxiety.
It probably won’t be that bad. You just need to go.
I can’t do and subject myself to it. I just can’t. And furthermore, I don’t want to. I want to feel better.
[repeat versions of this over the next hour]
. . .
And I chose the healthy option, to stay home.
The freedom in choosing for myself. For protecting myself. From situations I was never protected in to begin with, back before I had a choice.
I’m taking my life back. I did that earlier this year with fearing my dad. I still fear him, but I refuse to let him have power over me with threats and manipulation. If he hurts me or my family, it will have to be. I take every precaution I can, but worrying about him really is giving him free rent in my home.
Comments
Post a Comment